November is National Adoption Awareness Month
Raise awareness for yourself and others during the month of November with the following activities and events...
Adoption Options' Presentation
What: Dr. Lemay from the International Adoption Clinic at the Alberta Children’s Hospital, and
Terra Bovingdon, MSW, RSW, Attachment Expert
Topic: The common medical and psychological issues encountered by children the first year after arriving in Canada
When: Thursday, November 16, 2017
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Where: Adoption Options Calgary Conference Room: Main Floor, 5940 Macleod Trail SW
Cost: Donations accepted
How: To Register – Call Liz Gifford @ 403-270-822 *space is limited, so be sure to reserve your seat!
For pdf poster, click here
Adoptive Parent Support Group Meetings - 2017
Calgary: Monday, November 27th
Join adoptive and waiting families with guest speaker and adoptive parent, Lesley Cee, for a discussion on racism and discrimination, and parenting a child of a minority culture.
Edmonton: Time and Topic TBC
The Adoptive Parent Group is an open, ongoing and supportive group sponsored by Adoption Options for our adoptive parents and waiting couples, and monthly meetings are held in both Edmonton and Calgary. For more information, location, dates and times of meetings, go to our support group page.
Many Ways to Celebrate Adoption Awareness Month…
Email It... Put a short message about Adoption Awareness Month in your email signature. Add links to our homepage (www.adoptionoptions.com), Adoption Awareness page (www.adoptionoptions.com/adoption-awareness-month/) , and/or our video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yAW-3BZO_4).
Facebook, Tweet, Instagram, Pin It... Use your social media networks to spread the love! Don't forget to platform for more ideas. www.facebook.com/adoptionoptionsalberta/
- Screen It... Borrow a great adoption-related video, or an article from our blog or facebook page that you can screen for your family or friends.
- Hand It Out... Ask your community school/church/club/rec centre/coffee shop if you can place our agency brochures on a bulletin board or in the lobby. We can provide you with cards and brochures upon request.
- Share It... Organize a presentation on adoption or share your own story at your work/school/community centre or in the media. Nothing promotes adoption like real family experience!
- Write It... Send a letter to the editor of a local newspaper or the producer of a radio program/TV talk show and encourage them to cover a story on adoption. Or write to thank them for an adoption story they’ve already done.
- Publish It... Share a few words or a short testimony about your adoption journey to be posted on our website. Write a perspective or adoption article and submit it as a guest columnist on our blog.
- Use It... Use and share Positive Adoption Language. This raises awareness, combats misconceptions and educates others about adoption as a positive option. Find examples at www.adoptivefamilies.com/talking-about-adoption/positive-adoption-language/.
- Read a book about adoption and write a book review to share with other families formed through adoption or who are considering adoption as an option.
- Have a family movie night and watch a movie that portrays adoption in a positive light.
- Create a scrapbook with your child to honour the special way your family was formed.
- Spend an afternoon celebrating your child’s heritage – food, activities, crafts, etc.
- As a family, light a candle in honour of your child’s birthparents. And as a family share some quality time validating each person for all the things you love about them.
- Attend the Waiting and Adoptive Parents group.
- Make a donation in your child’s or his/her birthmother’s name to a charitable organization (such as Adoption Options).