November is National Adoption Awareness Month
Raise awareness for yourself and others during the month of November with the following activities and events...
Adoptive Parent Support Group Meetings
Calgary: Wednesday, November 23rd
Join adoptive and waiting families in Talking about Adoption with your Child. Discussion about how to share your child’s adoption story with him/her. Strategies, resources, and tips used by others. How and when to bring up the tough stuff. And more...
Edmonton: Thursday, November 3rd
Join adoptive and waiting families in talking about When Partners or Relatives Are Reluctant About Adoption. This will be a webinar and the talk will be given by Brooke Randolf. We will also have time to talk together about your own experiences and hear what has worked for you.
Edmonton: Thursday, November 24th
Edmonton’s second group meeting in November will welcome guest speaker Lisa Rogozinsky from the Edmonton FASD Network. Lisa will bring her experience and expertise, covering the “who, what, when, where, and why’s of FASD”, as well as talking about the strengths children who have FASD, possess, and what can be accomplished for children with the right intervention.
The Adoptive Parent Group is an open, ongoing and supportive group sponsored by Adoption Options for our adoptive parents and waiting couples, and monthly meetings are held in both Edmonton and Calgary. For more information, location, dates and times of meetings, go to our support group page.
Community Natural Foods
Change For the Earth Program
Adoption Options has been chosen as a feature charity in Community Natural Foods’ Change for the Earth program! You can participate in this unique fundraising and awareness opportunity when you shop at Community Natural Foods during the month of November. It's easy ... bring your own bags, shop, donate your bag credit, and CNF will double the donation to Adoption Options. Raise awareness of Adoption as a Positive Option by spreading the word about this unique program, and support Adoption Options at the same time. Find more information about this wonderful program and locations of Community Natural Food Stores here.
Many Ways to Celebrate Adoption Awareness Month…
Email It... Put a short message about Adoption Awareness Month in your email signature. Add links to our homepage (www.adoptionoptions.com), Adoption Awareness page (www.adoptionoptions.com/adoption-awareness-month/) , and/or our 2016 video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yAW-3BZO_4).
Facebook, Tweet, Instagram, Pin It... Use your social media networks to spread the love! Don't forget to platform for more ideas. www.facebook.com/adoptionoptionsalberta/
- Screen It... Borrow a great adoption-related video, or an article from our blog or facebook page that you can screen for your family or friends.
- Hand It Out... Ask your community school/church/club/rec centre/coffee shop if you can place our agency brochures on a bulletin board or in the lobby. We can provide you with cards and brochures upon request.
- Share It... Organize a presentation on adoption or share your own story at your work/school/community centre or in the media. Nothing promotes adoption like real family experience!
- Write It... Send a letter to the editor of a local newspaper or the producer of a radio program/TV talk show and encourage them to cover a story on adoption. Or write to thank them for an adoption story they’ve already done.
- Publish It... Share a few words or a short testimony about your adoption journey to be posted on our website. Write a perspective or adoption article and submit it as a guest columnist on our blog.
- Use It... Use and share Positive Adoption Language. This raises awareness, combats misconceptions and educates others about adoption as a positive option. Find examples at www.adoptivefamilies.com/talking-about-adoption/positive-adoption-language/.
- Read a book about adoption and write a book review to share with other families formed through adoption or who are considering adoption as an option.
- Have a family movie night and watch a movie that portrays adoption in a positive light.
- Create a scrapbook with your child to honour the special way your family was formed.
- Spend an afternoon celebrating your child’s heritage – food, activities, crafts, etc.
- As a family, light a candle in honour of your child’s birthparents. And as a family share some quality time validating each person for all the things you love about them.
- Attend the Waiting and Adoptive Parents group.
- Make a donation in your child’s or his/her birthmother’s name to a charitable organization (such as Adoption Options).